Refund student rent and fees
Fight for free education and make the 1% pay
Socialist Students marching for free education, 2016, photo Isai Priya (Click to enlarge)
Socialist Students has launched a petition to build support for its demands on the way forward for the student movement and to solve the crisis in higher education. The petition demands:
- Rent refunds for students. For 100% rent refunds for any student unable to move into their halls for any reason, with the money for those refunds made up for by the government
- For the right of students in third-party accommodation or the private rented sector to be released from their contracts. Compensation to the landlords only on the basis of proven need
- For rent controls! Bring all third party halls into the ownership and control of the universities, as a step towards democratically set rents, decided on by elected committees including students
- Refund our tuition fees - this year and every year! Fight for free education and make the 1% pay for it
- For a no-detriment policy to be introduced for assessments affected by the lockdown
- End all cuts! No attacks on jobs, wages, and conditions on campus to pay for refunds - make the government pay. For student and staff unity against all cuts on campus
- For democratic trade union and student oversight of all health and safety measures taken on campus to stop the spread of the virus - no trust in vice-chancellors, management or the Tories to handle this crisis in our interests
- Build a national student movement to fight for the funding our universities need. Scrap tuition fees, cancel student debt, and introduce genuine living grants for students. Fight for fully funded, high-quality and free education
Donate to the Socialist Party
The coronavirus crisis has laid bare the class character of society in numerous ways. It is making clear to many that it is the working class that keeps society running, not the CEOs of major corporations.
The results of austerity have been graphically demonstrated as public services strain to cope with the crisis.
- The Socialist Party's material is more vital than ever, so we can continue to report from workers who are fighting for better health and safety measures, against layoffs, for adequate staffing levels, etc.
- We must be ready for the stormy events ahead and the need to arm workers' movements with a socialist programme - one which puts the health and needs of humanity before the profits of a few.
Inevitably, during the crisis we have not been able to sell the Socialist and raise funds in the ways we normally would.
We therefore urgently appeal to all our viewers to donate to our Fighting Fund.
In The Socialist 20 January 2021:
Make the super-rich pay, not the poorest
Bosses profit out of 'starvation' food parcels
Teachers: On the front line, in their own words
Peace and Justice Project - no way forward for socialism
Millionaire tendency regains control of Scottish Labour
News in Brief
The Tory blame game: scapegoating the working class - 100% pay for all now
Covid: Bosses chase profit and put workers in danger
Vaccine confidence - a worker's response
Life in lockdown - being home from school when you're poor is hard
On the NHS front line
Black Lives Matter
Justice for Mohamud Hassan!
Police use Covid laws to intimidate BLM protesters
New Cross Gate fire 40 years ago
USA in crisis - the need for a socialist alternative
Trump Twitter ban: only independent workers' voice can defeat right
PCS Broad Left Network conference
Rolls-Royce Barnoldswick factory future secured following strike action
Morrisons - £10/hr headline hides divisive pay offer
A day in the life of an agency worker
British Gas strike continues
Refund student rent and fees
Plymouth rent strike continues
Scrap fees, refund rents and pay a living grant
London's May elections: Tories and Labour's Khan both vying to slash public services
Socialist Party national women's meeting
Why I joined the Socialist Party
Christmas Crossword Competition
Books that inspired me: The Road to Wigan Pier
Obituary - Jeff Edwards
The Socialist 20 January 2021 |
Join the Socialist
| Audio | PDF | ebook